This is a great recipe for Sourdough lovers as it uses your sourdough discard rather than wasting it. (We keep our sourdough discard in the fridge in a jar).
Its a quick make too and will give you enough batter to make 4 or 5 crumpets depending on ring size
- Stainless steel crumpet rings (4 is perfect)
- A wooden spoon
- A jug (litre size is good)
- Pastry brush
- Flat spatula / Turner for flipping
- 250g Sourdough discard
- 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- Vegetable Oil
- Put the bake-o-glide on your simmering plate (You can skip this but we find it helps flip them)
- Use the brush to oil the rings and place on the simmering plate, they need to be on for 5 to 10 mins to warm through
- Weight your Sourdough discard into Jug
- Stir in the salt
- Stir in the sugar
- When the rings have been warming 5 mins - stir in the bicarbonate of Soda
- Wait a minute for the bubbles to start
- Pour the batter into each ring about 3/4 full
- Watch you batter bubble and turn into delicious crumpets. Be patient and wait for the top to dry out! This will take 5 to 8 minutes demanding on your plate heat.
- Flip the crumpets over, remove the ring and give them a minute or two on the other side.
- Keep warm in the warming oven or let them cool and toast later.
- If you have enough mixture (or not enough rings) remember to re-oil the rings between bakes.
- Dont double up the recipe if you only have 4 rings as the bubbles will subside before you can get the second batch on. JUst make a second batch while the first cooks - you'll have time
- Great for freezing and then toasting when you need them, we just put them in bags in the freezer when cool.
- Serve with butter and jam.....delicious